West Hills Hospital and Medical Center offers comprehensive surgical services including recovery and rehabilitation. Our highly skilled medical team, state-of-the-art imaging, the latest operating platforms, outpatient services.
At our surgical specialties center, we perform advanced services like cardiovascular, orthopedic and gynecologic surgeries. We work to provide a range of procedures for your health needs in a compassionate setting.
For more information about our surgery services or to find a surgeon, speak with a member of our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (818) 676-4321.
Surgery procedures we offer
At West Hills Hospital, our surgical care begins with our diagnostic testing and imaging services departments. We work with your doctor to determine the best surgical option for your condition. Our procedures include:
- Adrenalectomy: removes part of, one or both of adrenal glands
- Appendectomy: removes the appendix
- Bladder neck suspension: supports the bladder to reduce urinary incontinence
- Endoscopic discectomy: removes herniated disc material
- Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP): enables diagnosis of problems in the liver, gallbladder, bile ducts and pancreas
- Endoscopic sinus surgery: removes blockages in the sinus
- Gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopic procedures: uses a tiny camera to examine the upper or lower GI tract
- Liver resection: removes a part of the liver
- Lung volume reduction surgery: reverses effects of emphysema, a lung condition where diseased lung tissues crowd out healthy tissues, making breathing difficult
- Opthalmalogic surgery: eye and eye-related procedures
- Oncology surgery: procedures for cancer condition
- Podiatric surgery: procedures for foot disorders
Our specialty surgeries provide procedures to meet specific health needs. From weight loss to neurological procedures, our services include:
Bariatric or weight loss surgery is a choice for patients unable to control their weight through diet, lifestyle or exercise plans. Our doctors may also recommend weight loss surgery to patients if conditions like diabetes, high cholesterol or hypertension (high blood pressure) make weight control difficult.
Our Heart and Vascular Institute's surgeons treat conditions like atrial fibrillation, vascular disease and heart attacks. We regularly perform left atrial appendage closure implants and catheter-based procedures.
Our reconstructive or cosmetic surgeons complete procedures that repair or rebuild areas of the body like skin grafts, flaps or reconstructions. Cosmetic surgeons offer care for a wide range of patients including burn injuries, breast surgery, or cancer patients.
Minimally invasive surgeries
Minimally invasive surgeries offers a low-risk alternative to traditional surgeries. This type of surgery generally falls into two areas, laparascopic and robotic-assisted procedures.
Laparoscopic procedures allow surgeons to make several small incisions into the abdomen and insert an instrument (laparoscope) with a tiny camera attached. The process allows specialists to see the targeted areas through 2D imaging and perform low-risk surgical procedures. Benefits include:
- Faster recovery
- Less blood loss
- Less pain during recovery
- Less risk of complications, including risk of blood clots
- Minimal scarring due to small incisions
- Shorter hospital stay
Robotic surgery has the same benefits as laparoscopic procedures with a few differences. Surgeons use robotic arms to perform surgeries through very small incisions. Robotic arms give surgeons an even greater range of motion, provide 3D high-definition imaging and offers optimal precision.
Surgeries that use laparoscopic or robotic procedures include:
- Colorectal procedures/surgery (surgery on the colon, polyp removal)
- Gastrectomy (removal of all or part of the stomach)
- Gynecologic surgery (hysterectomy, endometrial, fibroid removal)
- Hernia repair (procedure to reinforce weak area in abdominal wall)
- Nephrectomy (kidney removal)
- Proctectomy (prostate surgery)
Single-site gallbladder surgery
One of the more significant advancements in gallbladder removal is the laparo-endoscopic single-site procedure. The surgical approach requires one small incision in the belly button and is performed nationwide by select, highly trained surgeons.
Total joint replacement surgery
Orthopedic surgeons specialize in treating skeletal and joint disorders. Our specialists perform total joint replacements, vertebral fracture repairs or spinal fusion surgery. One of the newest procedures we perform is artificial disc replacement, an alternative to spinal fusion surgery. West Hills Hospital is one of America's 100 Best Hospitals for Orthopedic Surgery for two years in a row according to a national Healthgrades study.
Some neurological conditions may need surgery. Our highly skilled neurosurgeons perform state-of-the-art brain, spinal cord and spine surgery using minimally invasive procedures. Our surgeons perform the same techniques as "open" procedures without large incisions.