Child care is an important job, and one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. The following tips can keep everyone safe from burn injuries.
WHEN PREPARING MEALS:
- NEVER leave hot drinks or food within the reach of small children.
- NEVER allow children to stand on a chair at the stove.
- NEVER use the microwave to warm baby bottles or food.
- NEVER hold a baby while cooking or drinking hot liquids.
- NEVER place a pot on the floor to cool.
- ALWAYS turn pot handles away from edge and cook on the back burner.
- If something on the stove catches fire, slide a lid on the pot to smother the flames.
IF YOU’RE BATHING CHILDREN:
- Test the water temperature with your hand or a bath thermometer BEFORE bathing a child.
- NEVER leave a small child alone in the tub
IF A FIRE BREAKS OUT:
- STAY CALM. Get yourself and the children out of the house immediately, then call 911.
FIRST AID FOR MINOR BURNS:
- Apply Cool water
Fire and Police: CALL 911
For more information, call our Consult-a-Nurse Hotline 24/7 at 1 (818) 676-4321