Diagnosis of Cervical Cancer
|Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Cervix|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Cone biopsy, also known as cold cone biopsy or cold knife cone biopsy—a procedure that uses a laser or a surgical scalpel to remove tissue
- Loop electrosurgical excision procedure (LEEP)—a procedure that uses an electric wire loop to slice off a thin, round piece of tissue
- Endocervical curettage—a procedure that uses a small, spoon-shaped instrument called a curette to scrape tissue from inside the cervical opening
- Imaging studies including:
- CT scan
- MRI scan
- Positron emission tomography
- Surgical staging
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy
- Stage 0—The abnormal cells are found only in the first layer of cells lining the uterus.
- Stage I—Cancer involves the cervix but is still confined to the uterus. This stage has six levels depending upon the size of the cancer: IA, IA1, IA2, IB, IB1, and IB2.
- Stage II—Cancer has spread to nearby areas but is still inside the pelvic area. This stage has two levels depending on whether the cancer has spread to the upper two-thirds of the vagina (IIA) or into the pelvis (IIB).
- Stage III—Cancer has spread throughout the pelvic area. This stage has two levels depending on whether the cancer has spread to the lower third of the vagina (IIIA) or more broadly into the pelvis (IIIB).
- Stage IV—Cancer has spread to other parts of the body. This stage has two levels depending on which organs the cancer has spread to: bladder, rectum or both (IVA); or, more distant organs (IVB).
Cervical cancer. American Cancer Society website. Available at: http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cervicalcancer/index. Accessed January 6, 2014.
Cervical cancer. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated December 7, 2013. Accessed January 6, 2014.
Cervical cancer. National Cancer Institute website. Available at: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/cervical. Accessed January 6, 2014.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 01/06/2014 -