|Swollen Parotid Gland|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Being unvaccinated and exposed to people who have mumps
- Being born after 1956 and never having mumps, or not being vaccinated after first birthday
- Season: winter
- Having a weakened immune system, even if you have been vaccinated
- Painful swelling of the parotid glands
- Lack of appetite
- Sore throat
- Stiff neck
- Nausea and vomiting
- Swelling and pain under the tongue, jaw, or front of the chest
- In males: painful inflammation of the testicles
- In females—inflammation of the ovaries, which results in pain or tenderness in the abdomen
- Apply hot or cold compresses to swollen areas.
- Gargle with warm salt water to soothe a sore throat.
- Treat high fever with acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
- Drink plenty of liquids. Avoid tart or acidic drinks such as, orange juice or lemonade.
- Eat a soft, bland diet.
- Have had severe allergic reactions to vaccines or vaccine components
- Are pregnant—Avoid pregnancy for 1-3 months after receiving the vaccine.
- Have a weakened immune system
- Have a high fever or severe upper respiratory tract infection
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
About Kids Health—The Hospital for Sick Children http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Kassianos G. Vaccination for tomorrow: the need to improve immunisation rates. J Fam Health Care. 2010;20(1):13-6.
Mumps. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/mumps. Updated July 1, 2014. Accessed August 27, 2014.
Mumps. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 28, 2014. Accessed August 27, 2014.
Mumps. Nemours Kids Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sick/mumps.html. Updated July 2012. Accessed August 27, 2014.
Mumps. Immunization Action Committee website. Available at: http://www.vaccineinformation.org/mumps. Updated August 3, 2014. Accessed August 27, 2014.
- Reviewer: Fabienne Daguilh, MD
- Review Date: 06/2014 -
- Update Date: 00/51/2013 -