Servings and Times
Tip: Refrigerate dumplings and soup in separate containers and save for lunch.
Ingredients and Preparation
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, garlic, and thyme, and sauté for 4-6 minutes, until onions are tender.
- Add chicken broth, water, and cream of celery soup to vegetables and bring to a boil. Add chicken, stir, and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce to a simmer.
- While soup is boiling, prepare dumpling batter by whisking milk and egg together in a medium bowl. In another bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cornmeal, and salt. Add flour mixture to milk mixture and stir until moistened.
- Drop half of batter, in tablespoons, into simmering soup. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until dumplings are done (they will be puffy and will float on top of soup). Remove dumplings with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat with second half of batter. (Makes about 12 dumplings.)
- Serve soup over dumplings in shallow bowls and sprinkle with pepper.